Northcenter Chamber Philanthropy & Grants
One of the many was the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce invests in the Northcenter community is through a robust grant program tied to Ribfest and other community events.
The Northcenter Chamber of Commerce is excited and proud to announce its program to fund local projects and initiatives through its Grant and Sponsorship Program for 2018. Since 2008, the Chamber's Philanthropy program has given more than $185,000 to local schools, nonprofits and organizations enriching and improving the quality of life in Northcenter.
Our Philanthropy program was developed by the chamber’s Philanthropy Committee and was designed to help fund projects with a charitable purpose in order to accomplish one or more of the following:
- Sustain or enrich the Northcenter community
- Highlight and raise the profile of the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce and its members
- Foster an atmosphere of giving within the Northcenter community
At this time, the Philanthropy Committee will accept and review applications once a year, beginning in August 2017.
Additional funds are expected to be available each year for this program. Applications will be reviewed and voted on by the Philanthropy Committee with required approval by the Board of Directors for larger grants. Both restricted and unrestricted funding shall be available as part of this program, though only 501(c)(3) organizations shall be eligible for unrestricted grants.
We hope you will apply for a grant or sponsorship opportunity with the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce. If your organization or project is not a fit for this program, download and submit the application below. Applications must be submitted by August 1st, 2018. No late applications will be accepted.
If you have any questions, please contact Lindsay Eanet by email at email@example.com or by phone at (773) 525-3609. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Download Guidelines and Application Information (PDF) (DOC)
As an example of how successful these grants can be for an organization, the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce approved a $4,000 matching grant to raise funds for the Coonley School Science Lab. This matching grant ignited a flood of donations that reached a total of $37,000 - way to go Coonley!
Garrett FitzGerald Memorial Scholarship
The Northcenter Chamber of Commerce is now accepting applications for the Garrett FitzGerald Memorial Scholarship. This award, given annually to an exemplary high school junior in our community, will honor a student that exemplifies the best of our late Executive Director and friend, Garrett FitzGerald.
Garrett served as Executive Director of the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce for nearly a decade. He was a leader in promoting the economic development and vitality of the Northcenter Chamber, helping grow its membership, its events and its capacity. He also served on the Illinois Civil Service Commission and in the community as a Treasurer and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Neumann Family Services, a member of the Board of Directors at St. Benedict School, as well as the Bell School Local Advisory Council and the 4th Congressional District Citizens' Utility Board. He was a great networker, a dedicated public servant, but above all, a friend to everyone he met.
The selected high school junior will be granted a scholarship of $1,000 to offset the costs of college application fees, college visits and tours, tests and test prep classes, tuition payments, books or school supplies and other related expenses that stem from preparation for higher education.
- High school juniors who reside or attend school within the Northcenter neighborhood. The students must be entering their senior year of high school in the fall of 2018.
- The eligible Northcenter neighborhood area includes residences and/or schools within the following boundaries (proof of residency will be required):
- W. Montrose Avenue between N. Clark Street and N. California Avenue
- N. Clark Street between W. Montrose Avenue and W. Irving Park Road
- N. Ashland Avenue between W. Irving Park Road and W. Addison Street
- W. Addison Street between N. Ashland Avenue and N. California Avenue
- N. California Avenue between W. Addison Street and W. Montrose Avenue
- Immediate family members of Board of Directors or staff members of the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce are not eligible.
Applicants must submit all of the following in their completed scholarship packet:
- Scholarship Application form -- ALL sections must be completed & signed by the applicant
- Essay (see application)
- Two letters of recommendation: One letter must be from a school official and printed on school letterhead; the other must be from a non-relative adult who has known the applicant for at least one year. Both letter must include the author’s handwritten signature and phone number.
- A current resume (include volunteer experience, extracurriculars, work experience, etc.)
- Completed applications must be received either electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted to the Northcenter Chamber office at 4054 N. Lincoln Avenue no later than 5 p.m. on Friday, June 1st, 2018. Incomplete or late applications will NOT be accepted.