About SSA #38
Current Requests for Proposal
- October 15th, 2019, 4054 N. Lincoln @ 10 a.m.
- December 2nd, 2019, 4054 N. Lincoln @ 10 a.m.
Future dates and agendas for 2019 SSA Commissioner meetings will be posted here. Visit the 'Meetings & Transparency' page for minutes from previous Commissioner meetings and Requests For Proposal.
What is a Special Service Area?
Special Service Areas, known as Business Improvement Districts or BIDs in other cities, are local tax districts that fund expanded services and programs through a localized property tax levy within contiguous areas. The enhanced services and programs are in addition to those currently provided through the City.
SSA-funded projects typically include but are not limited to: public way maintenance and beautification; district marketing and advertising; business retention/attraction, special events and promotional activities; auto and bike transit; security; façade improvements; and other commercial and economic development initiatives.
The City contracts with local non-profits, called Service Providers, to manage SSAs. Mayorally-appointed SSA Commissioners for each SSA district oversee and recommend the annual services, budget and Service Provider Agency to the City. There are currently 44 active SSAs in Chicago.
Why did we start the SSA?
Special Service Area #38 was created in 2006 to provide enhanced cleaning, landscaping, snow removal and other services to Northcenter’s primary streets, to help beautify and promote Northcenter as a desirable place to live, work and play.
These services help attract new businesses, residents and visitors to Northcenter as well as enhancing the experience of living and working in Northcenter for its residents and workers.
SSA #38 Boundaries
The current boundaries of the SSA are:
- Irving Park Road from Ravenswood Ave. to the Chicago River
- Western Avenue from Belmont Avenue to Montrose Avenue (West side) from Montrose Ave to Cornelia (East side)
- Lincoln Avenue from Addison to Montrose Avenue (West side) and from Montrose Ave to Bradley Pl (East side)
- Damen Ave from Belle Plaine to 3912 N. Damen (West side), from Cuyler to Byron (East side).
- Northcenter Town Square (4100 N. Damen)
SSA #38 Map