Program Assistant - Summer 2019
The David L. Hoyt Education Foundation was formed to support and provide play-based and collaborative learning experiences. We recognize the need to encourage and foster education, community, and responsible citizenship. We create accessible experiences and related curricula that engage learners with fun and interactive games and puzzles.
Program assistants help facilitate our Giant Word Winder Program at Chicago Public Libraries throughout the city. The Giant Word Winder Program is a literacy (and math) program using giant games to reinforce vocabulary, spelling, and math skills while teaching collaboration and critical thinking.
- Assist in facilitating Giant Word Winder and Giant math Winder programs at Chicago Public Libraries 4-6 times per week.
- Document gameplay with photos,
- Keep a record of the number of children in each program,
- Complete a short survey after each program,
- Direct large groups of children
- Outgoing and pleasant demeanor
- Follow directions well,
- Exhibit strong interpersonal communication skills, and
- Have an interest in playing games with children
- Advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Spanish speaking and writing a plus, but not required
- Access to reliable transportation a plus, but not required
- Part-time - 10-14 hours per week during June 24th - August 9th
- Programs are 1 hour per library
- Must have daytime availability
- Can bring your children to the library if they are able to be unsupervised
- Compensation is $18/hour
Training in how to facilitate gameplay will be provided.
Watch our how to play videos on the Word Winder YouTube channel to get a jump on training! (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDeYmGfpnX3P4Ssv986LkIA).
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Claire@DavidLHoytFoundation.org