The Northcenter Chamber of Commerce has extended the deadline for the 2nd annual Garrett FitzGerald Memorial Scholarship. This award, given annually to an exemplary high school junior in our community, will honor a student that exemplifies the best of our late Executive Director and friend, Garrett FitzGerald.
Garrett served as Executive Director of the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce for nearly a decade. He was a leader in promoting the economic development and vitality of the Northcenter Chamber, helping grow its membership, its events and its capacity. He also served on the Illinois Civil Service Commission and in the community as a Treasurer and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Neumann Family Services, a member of the Board of Directors at St. Benedict School, as well as the Bell School Local Advisory Council and the 4th Congressional District Citizens' Utility Board. He was a great networker, a dedicated public servant, but above all, a friend to everyone he met.
The selected high school junior will be granted a scholarship of $1,000 to offset the costs of college application fees, college visits and tours, tests and test prep classes, tuition payments, books or school supplies and other related expenses that stem from preparation for higher education.
- High school juniors who reside or attend school within the Northcenter neighborhood. The students must be entering their senior year of high school in the fall of 2018.
- The eligible Northcenter neighborhood area includes residences and/or schools within the following boundaries (proof of residency will be required):
- W. Montrose Avenue between N. Clark Street and N. California Avenue
- N. Clark Street between W. Montrose Avenue and W. Irving Park Road
- N. Ashland Avenue between W. Irving Park Road and W. Addison Street
- W. Addison Street between N. Ashland Avenue and N. California Avenue
- N. California Avenue between W. Addison Street and W. Montrose Avenue
- Immediate family members of Board of Directors or staff members of the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce are not eligible.
Applicants must submit all of the following in their completed scholarship packet:
- Scholarship Application form -- ALL sections must be completed & signed by the applicant
- Essay (see application)
- Two letters of recommendation: One letter must be from a school official and printed on school letterhead; the other must be from a non-relative adult who has known the applicant for at least one year. Both letter must include the author’s handwritten signature and phone number.
- A current resume (include volunteer experience, extracurriculars, work experience, etc.)
- Completed applications must be received either electronically at email@example.com or submitted to the Northcenter Chamber office at 4054 N. Lincoln Avenue no later than 5 p.m. on Monday, MAY 29th, 2017. Incomplete or late applications will NOT be accepted.
Download the Application and Guidelines (PDF)